Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Epsom and Ewell Local Committee - Monday, 28 March 2022 7.00 pm

Venue: Main Hall, Bourne Hall, Spring Street, Ewell KT17 1UF

Contact: Rowena Zelley, Partnership Committee Officer  Surrey County Council, Community Partnerships & Engagement Team, Woodhatch Place, 11 Cockshot Hill, Woodhatch, Reigate, RH2 8EF

Media

Items
No. Item

37/21

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE AND SUBSTITUTIONS

    • Share this item

    To receive any apologies for absence and notices of substitutions from Borough members under Standing Order 39.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Apologies were received from County Councillor John Beckett and County Councillor Jan Mason.

38/21

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    • Share this item

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i)               Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii)              Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest
    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)
    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial.

     

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Vice Chairman (Cllr Steven McCormick) declared an interest in relation to Item 9 that he is an Epsom and Walton Downs Conservator, a member of Woodcote (Epsom) Residents’ Society, Epsom and Ewell Borough Councillor for Woodcote Ward and County Councillor for Epsom Town and Downs. Cllr Neil Dallen declared an interest in relation to Item 9 that he is a member of Epsom and Walton Downs Training Grounds Management Board.

39/21

CHAIRMAN'S BUSINESS

    • Share this item

    The Chairman will update the Committee on any current issues.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    The Vice Chairman (Cllr Steven McCormick) mentioned the following items;

     

    Surrey County Council have approved the retrospective planning application to continue the waste recycling operations at the Chalk Pit despite representation and objections from residents, Cllr Nigel Collin, Cllr John Beckett, Cllr Steven McCormick and Chris Grayling, MP. The business has been sold to a larger recycling company. Continue to press for a review from the Secretary of State and await outcome.

     

    On 22 February 2022 Surrey County Council’s Cabinet agreed to remove the Highways functions and budgets from Local and Joint Committees and give budgets and influence over local schemes direct to local members. These changes take effect from 1 April 2022. Item 8 Epsom and Ewell Parking Review (Phase 14) relates to electric vehicle (EV) charging bay locations and members have not been involved in discussions with officers prior to this item coming to this committee. In future it is desirable to involve the local divisional members.

     

    A member asked what consultation there was regarding the removal of Highways functions and the Vice Chairman (Cllr Steven McCormick) confirmed this would be followed up outside of this meeting.

     

     

40/21

WRITTEN PUBLIC QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 209 KB

    • Share this item

    To answer any questions or receive a statement from any member of the public who lives, works or studies in the Surrey County Council area in accordance with Standing Order 69. Notice should be given in writing or by e-mail to the  Partnership Committee Officer at least by noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

    Petitions,Public Questions, Statements:

    Cllr Bernie Muir joined the meeting during this item.

     

    5 written questions were received as follows:

     

    1.         Ranjit Krishna re speed of traffic on Windmill Lane/Wallace Fields

    2.         Cllr David Gulland re accessibility around the borough

    3.         Cllr David Gulland re College Road/Longdown Lane junction traffic lights

    4.         Cllr Julie Morris re Grove Road and Church Street crossing

    5.         Cllr Julie Morris re Church Street/Upper High Street phasing of traffic lights

     

    The questions asked and the answers given were published in the supplementary agenda on Friday 25 March 2022.

     

    4.         Cllr Julie Morris will discuss with the local Divisional Member.

    5.         Cllr Julie Morris thanked officers for the response and agreed the problem is at peak periods.


    Members had a discussion around SCC Cabinet's decision to remove highways functions. It was stated that the public needed to realise that highway funding will be pooled and they need to ask the divisional member to prioritise if they have a local scheme. Regarding an opportunity to petition Cabinet about this decision information is available on the SCC website and additional guidance will be shared with members.

     

41/21

PETITIONS pdf icon PDF 118 KB

    • Share this item

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 68.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

    Petitions,Public Questions, Statements: One petition as detailed.

     

    One petition was received relating to the improvement of footpaths around Wallace Fields Infant, Nursery and Junior Schools. The petition has 118 signatories. Full details and the officer response was published in a supplementary agenda on Friday 25 March 2022.

     

    Joanna Brynteson presented her petition to the committee and felt the response was unacceptable and the assessment mentioned was in response to a different petition for different roads (Dorling Drive and St John's Avenue) and the remedial work done was insufficient. The petitioner used the report it tool last week and was told it didn’t need an immediate response.

     

    Member discussion – key points

     

    The divisional member agreed to look at this matter outside of the meeting.

     

    A member commented that he had reported nine footways in his division over the last six months to the Project Horizon Team in Highways and this may obtain a different outcome or timescale.

     

    The petitioner confirmed to a member who asked that they have a record of the times and dates of accidents.

     

    The divisional member confirmed to a member that the damage was not caused by cars.

42/21

MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 286 KB

    • Share this item

    To approve the Minutes of the previous meeting as a correct record.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Cllr Nigel Collin asked what was happening about the information on HGV Watch and the Partnership Committee Officer will obtain a response and circulate to the committee outside of this meeting.

    The minutes of the meeting held on 8 November 2021 were agreed as a

    correct record.

43/21

WRITTEN MEMBER QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 106 KB

    • Share this item

    To receive any written questions from Members under Standing Order 47. Notice should be given in writing to the Partnership Committee Officer by 12.00 noon four working days before the meeting.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

    Petitions,Public Questions, Statements:

     

    1 written question was received as follows:

     

    Cllr Neil Dallen re Leith Road.

     

    The question asked and the answer given was published in the supplementary agenda on Friday 25 March 2022.

     

    No supplementary question.

     

    Members had a discussion on whether the no through road sign was legal and whether it should be reinstated. The Senior Traffic Engineer will make sure the signs are correct and advise the committee outside of this meeting.

44/21

EPSOM AND EWELL PARKING REVIEW (PHASE 14) pdf icon PDF 4 MB

    • Share this item

    To consider requests that have been received for either the introduction of new parking restrictions or changes to existing restrictions at various sites in Epsom and Ewell.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    RECOMMENDATIONS:

    The Local Committee (Epsom & Ewell) agreed:

    (i) That the county council’s intention to introduce the proposals in Annex 1 is formally advertised, and subject to statutory consultation;

    (ii) That if no objections are received when the proposals are advertised, the appropriate traffic

    regulation orders are made;

    (iii) That if objections are received which cannot be resolved, in accordance with the county council’s scheme of delegation, the Parking and Traffic Enforcement Team Manager considers them, in consultation with the Chairman / Vice Chairman of this committee and the county councillor for the division, and decides whether or not they should be acceded to and therefore whether the order should be made, with or without modifications.

    (iv) That a meeting be held with the EV charging point team to discuss the criteria for the installation of EV charging points with a view to suggesting options alongside those in annex 2.

    (v) That the Parking and Traffic Enforcement Team Manager is delegated authority to determine the exact positions in consultation with the Chair, Vice-Chair and Local Member prior to statutory consultation.

    REASONS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS:

    It is recommended that the waiting restrictions are implemented as detailed in Annex

    1. They will make a positive impact towards:-

    • Road safety

    • Access for emergency vehicles

    • Access for refuse vehicles

    • Easing traffic congestion

    • Better regulated parking

    • Better enforcement

    This will help us achieve our 2030 Community Vision objectives:

    • Residents live in clean, safe, and green communities where people and

    organisations embrace their environmental responsibilities.

    • Journeys across the county are easier, more predictable, and safer.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Stephen Clavey, Senior Engineer

    Petitions,PublicQuestions, Statements:

     

    Member discussion – key points

     

    The Senior Engineer advised the following amendments to the report;

    Cllr Eber Kington has a proposal on Vale Road to make the Temporary Traffic Order permanent.

    Cllr Steve Bridger to amend the proposal for Manor Green Road to extend the double yellow line between the end of the existing restrictions on the east side between West Hill and West Hill Avenue. Instead put in a single yellow line and make the disabled bay mandatory.

    Cllr Julie Morris mentioned drawing 19 which is called Mill Lane but is actually Mill Road the problem doesn’t exist as houses not built. She asked the committee to consider one of three options;

    1.    Abandon scheme.

    2.    Delay to Phase 15.

    3.    Consider protecting the two access points to the new houses.

    The divisional member agreed that any highways issues would have been highlighted when planning was given and will consider removal of the scheme with the Senior Engineer.

     

    Cllr Neil Dallen queried the proposal for West Hill permit scheme (Zone R)

    A request has been received to allow numbers 2, 4 and 6 to apply for visitors permits in

    zone R. This will allow us to enforce parking on the access road to those properties, where vehicles currently shouldn’t be parking. There is no drawing for this proposal. The Senior Engineer confirmed this was a request from Epsom and Ewell Borough Council following a request from residents and should read West Hill permit scheme (Zone R) A request has been received to allow numbers 2, 4 and 6 to apply for visitors permits in zone R. This will be corrected before it goes out to public consultation.

     

    Cllr Neil Dallen asked whether we know figures for how many permits have been issued and how many spaces there are and if they are oversubscribed. The Senior Engineer confirmed EEBC have confirmed there is room for additional permits and he can ask how many permits have been issued. It is difficult to gauge the number of spaces due to the size of the vehicles. The Senior Engineer can give a rough guide and also ask if it is possible to find out how many are being used each day.

     

    Cllr Nigel Collin asked what was the net reduction in parking across these proposals. The Senior Engineer confirmed the parking proposals were for safety and to prevent obstructive parking. The permits were to increase places to park.

     

    Cllr Eber Kington mentioned that Cunliffe Road had not yet had the lines painted so any change will have to come to Phase 15, once down will then need to check if buses are still unable to get through. The Senior Engineer apologised for the delay and will continue to chase.

     

    In response to Cllr Eber Kington the Senior Engineer confirmed that the same double yellow lines for Salisbury Road appear on drawing 2 and 3. He also made a note that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 44/21

45/21

OLD LONDON ROAD pdf icon PDF 145 KB

    In July 2021 Committee authorised the advertisement of a prohibition of traffic order to enable the section of Old London Road (D2319) leading from Tattenham Corner Road to the Top Car Park on Epsom Downs to be closed overnight.  The order was advertised early in 2022.  A total of 234 representations were received altogether, of which 168 (72%) were objections.  Committee is asked to decide the next steps for this proposal.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    RECOMMENDATIONS: The Local Committee (Epsom & Ewell) agreed:

    Modify the proposal and authorise the Engagement and Commissioning Manager to advertise the appropriate Traffic Regulation Order to formalise the pre-lockdown hours of operation of the road closure in Old London Road as originally intended in the late 1990s and to identify £5,000 to cover the cost of advertising the Traffic Regulation Orders.

    REASONS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS:

    Regulation 9(3)(a) of The Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England &

    Wales) Regulations 1996 states that where a proposed order that has the effect of

    prohibiting loading on and unloading from vehicles before 7am, between 10am and

    4pm or after 7pm is advertised and objections are lodged, a public inquiry must be

    called to decide the outcome of the proposal. What this means is that to continue with the proposal as agreed in July 2021, Committee must call a public inquiry to consider the proposal, the representations already received, and any further representations that might be submitted to the inquiry once called. The inspector appointed to run the public inquiry would then decide the outcome.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest:The Vice Chairman (Cllr Steven McCormick) declared an interest in relation to Item 9 that he is an Epsom and Walton Downs Conservator, a member of Woodcote (Epsom) Residents’ Society,  Epsom and Ewell Borough Councillor for Woodcote Ward and County Councillor for Epsom Town and Downs. Cllr Neil Dallen declared an interest in relation to Item 9 that he is a member of Epsom and Walton Downs Training Grounds Management Board.

     

    Officers attending: Nick Healey, Highway Scheme Design Manager

    Petitions,PublicQuestions, Statements:

     

    Member discussion – key points

     

    Some members explained why they were initially against this proposal for reasons such as accessibility for those who work during the day or have caring responsibilities. Members also discussed the infringement of public rights and equality issues for the disabled to have access to that part of the Downs as well as concerns surrounding displacement parking. Anti-social behaviour was mainly during the pandemic. There was a well intentioned argument for closing early due to the safety of a female Downskeeper. During the consultation it was observed that anyone who did not have prior knowledge would not have been aware of the previous opening hours.

    Members discussed the possibility of modifying the proposal.

     

    Cllr Nigel Collin proposed the following amendment to recommendation (b):
    Modify the proposal and authorise the Engagement and Commissioning Manager to advertise the appropriate Traffic Regulation Order to formalise the pre-lockdown hours of operation of the road closure in Old London Road as originally intended in the late 1990s and to identify £5,000 to cover the cost of advertising the Traffic Regulation Orders.

    Cllr Phil Neale confirmed his support to second Cllr Nigel Collin’s proposal. Members voted by a show of hands on the revised recommendation. No hands were raised for (a). Recommendation (b) was AGREED by seven votes in favour. No hands were raised for (c).

     

    RECOMMENDATIONS: The Local Committee (Epsom & Ewell) agreed:

    Modify the proposal and authorise the Engagement and Commissioning Manager to advertise the appropriate Traffic Regulation Order to formalise the pre-lockdown hours of operation of the road closure in Old London Road as originally intended in the late 1990s and to identify £5,000 to cover the cost of advertising the Traffic Regulation Orders.

    REASONS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS:

    Regulation 9(3)(a) of The Local Authorities’ Traffic Orders (Procedure) (England &

    Wales) Regulations 1996 states that where a proposed order that has the effect of

    prohibiting loading on and unloading from vehicles before 7am, between 10am and

    4pm or after 7pm is advertised and objections are lodged, a public inquiry must be

    called to decide the outcome of the proposal. What this means is that to continue with the proposal as agreed in July 2021, Committee must call a public inquiry to consider the proposal, the representations already received, and any further representations that might be submitted to the inquiry once called. The inspector appointed to run the public inquiry would then decide the outcome.

46/21

HIGHWAYS UPDATE [EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 241 KB

    • Share this item

    This report seeks approval of a programme of highway works for Epsom & Ewell funded from the Local Committee’s delegated capital and revenue budgets.

     

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    RECOMMENDATIONS:

    The Local Committee (Epsom & Ewell) agreed that:

    General

    (i) Note that the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works

    in 2022/23 is £464,195, as agreed by Cabinet on 22nd February 2022.

    (ii) Agree that the devolved capital budget for highway works be used to progress both capital improvement schemes and member capital allocation as detailed in section 1.

    (iii) Authorise that the Highway Engagement & Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members, to be able to reallocate budget to reserve

    schemes should there be a need to change the programme.

    (iv) Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members, be able to allocate any additional funding

    for schemes, in accordance with any guidance issued surrounding that funding.

    Capital Improvement Schemes

    (v) Agree that the capital improvement schemes allocation for Epsom & Ewell be used to progress the Major Integrated Transport Schemes programme set

    out in Annex 1.

    (vi) Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager be able to vire money between the programme of schemes agreed in Annex 1, if

    required.

    (vii) Agree that Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager, in line with the Scheme of Delegation, is able to progress any scheme from the Major Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes. Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the appropriate county member.

    Member Capital Allocation

    (viii) Note that, £50,000 is allocated to each divisional member. Up to £15,000 of this could be allocated to minor ITS, or all £50,000 on capital maintenance

    (recommended option). The schemes are to be agreed by county members in consultation with the Stakeholder Engagement Officer.

    Revenue Maintenance

    (ix) Note that the members will continue to receive a Member Local Highways Fund (revenue) allocation of £7,500 per county member to address highway

    issues in their division.

    (x) Agree that revenue works are to be managed by the Highway Maintenance team on behalf of and in consultation with county members.

    REASONS FOR RECOMMENDATIONS:

    To agree, a programme of highways works in Epsom & Ewell for 2022/23, funded

    from budgets available to enable schemes and works to progress.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending:Peter Shimadry, Senior Traffic Engineer

    Petitions,PublicQuestions, Statements:

     

    Member discussion – key points

     

    Cllr Eber Kington raised an objection to the reserved scheme pedestrian crossing facility near new Priest Hill Close development on east side of Reigate Road as it serves a very small community. The Senior Traffic Engineer noted Cllr Eber Kington’s objection and confirmed the schemes can be amended and discussed.

    Cllr Neil Dallen asked whether the feasibility had been carried out for Church Street, Epsom improvements at the three Zebra Crossings. The Senior Traffic Engineer confirmed not all feasibility had been carried out as not known what will fit into the £75,000 budget allocation. The Senior Traffic Engineer will advise members what will be delivered and how much it will cost. Cllr Neil Dallen will speak with t
    he Vice Chairman (Cllr Steven McCormick) outside of this meeting.

     

    RECOMMENDATIONS:

    The Local Committee (Epsom & Ewell) agreed that:

    General

    (i) Note that the Local Committee’s devolved highways budget for capital works

    in 2022/23 is £464,195, as agreed by Cabinet on 22nd February 2022.

    (ii) Agree that the devolved capital budget for highway works be used to progress both capital improvement schemes and member capital allocation as detailed in section 1.

    (iii) Authorise that the Highway Engagement & Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members, to be able to reallocate budget to reserve

    schemes should there be a need to change the programme.

    (iv) Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager in consultation with county members, be able to allocate any additional funding

    for schemes, in accordance with any guidance issued surrounding that funding.

    Capital Improvement Schemes

    (v) Agree that the capital improvement schemes allocation for Epsom & Ewell be used to progress the Major Integrated Transport Schemes programme set

    out in Annex 1.

    (vi) Authorise that the Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager be able to vire money between the programme of schemes agreed in Annex 1, if

    required.

    (vii) Agree that Highways Engagement and Commissioning Manager, in line with the Scheme of Delegation, is able to progress any scheme from the Major Integrated Transport Schemes programme, including consultation and statutory advertisement that may be required under the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, for completion of those schemes. Where it is agreed that a scheme will not be progressed, this will be reported back to the appropriate county member.

    Member Capital Allocation

    (viii) Note that, £50,000 is allocated to each divisional member. Up to £15,000 of this could be allocated to minor ITS, or all £50,000 on capital maintenance

    (recommended option). The schemes are to be agreed by county members in consultation with the Stakeholder Engagement Officer.

    Revenue Maintenance

    (ix) Note that the members will continue to receive a Member Local Highways Fund (revenue) allocation of £7,500 per county member to address highway

    issues in their division.

    (x) Agree that revenue works are to be managed by the Highway Maintenance team on behalf of and in consultation with county members.

    REASONS FOR  ...  view the full minutes text for item 46/21

47/21

LOCAL COMMITTEE DECISION TRACKER [FOR DECISION] pdf icon PDF 354 KB

    • Share this item

    This item provides an update on previous decisions and actions agreed by the Committee. The Committee is asked to agree that the items marked as complete are removed from the tracker.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Cllr Neil Dallen requested that Item 11 remain open and will send a follow up to officers.

     

    Cllr Neil Dallen requested that Item 7 remain open.

     

    Cllr Eber Kington confirmed that Items 8 and 12 can be closed.

     

     

     

     

     

48/21

FORWARD PLAN [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 10 KB

    • Share this item

    The Committee is asked to note the forward plan for the Committee and propose any items which they would like to see added.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Noted the forward plan.

49/21

DATE OF NEXT MEETING

    • Share this item

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Cllr Bernie Muir asked for diary invites to be sent.