Agenda, decisions and minutes

Guildford Joint Committee
Wednesday, 3 July 2019 7.00 pm

Venue: Council Chamber, Guildford Borough Council, Millmead House, Millmead, Guildford GU2 4BB

Contact: Gregory Yeoman  Partnership Committee Officer

Link: Click here for webcast (available for six months from date of meeting)

Items
No. Item

Open forum questions pdf icon PDF 73 KB

The questions and responses given during the open forum are annexed to the minutes.

 

1/19

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE

2/19

MINUTES FROM PREVIOUS MEETING pdf icon PDF 98 KB

3/19

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

    All Members present are required to declare, at this point in the meeting or as soon as possible thereafter

    (i) Any disclosable pecuniary interests and / or

    (ii) Other interests arising under the Code of Conduct in respect of any item(s) of business being considered at this meeting

    NOTES:

    • Members are reminded that they must not participate in any item where they have a disclosable pecuniary interest

    • As well as an interest of the Member, this includes any interest, of which the Member is aware, that relates to the Member’s spouse or civil partner (or any person with whom the Member is living as a spouse or civil partner)

    • Members with a significant personal interest may participate in the discussion and vote on that matter unless that interest could be reasonably regarded as prejudicial

    Minutes:

    No declarations of interest were received.

4/19

CHAIRMAN'S ANNOUNCEMENTS

5/19

PETITIONS AND PETITION RESPONSES pdf icon PDF 3 MB

    To receive any petitions in accordance with Standing Order 14.1. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Partnership Committee Officer at least 14 days before the meeting. Alternatively, the petition can be submitted on-line through Surrey County Council’s e-petitions website as long as the minimum number of signatures (30) has been reached 14 days before the meeting.

     

    The response to a petition presented at the March 2019 meeting is provided. Four new petitions have been received and officer responses are provided.

     

    Petition 1 – Safety outside St Lawrence primary School, Effingam. Lead petitioner Claire Jones. 216 signatures.

     

    Petition 2 – Request for installation of a controlled crossing outside Send primary school. Lead petitioner Richard Knotek. 368 signatures.

     

    Petition 3 – Installation of double yellow lines on Boxgrove Lane. Lead petitioner Derek Payne. 35 signatures.

     

    Petition 4 – Reinstatement of bus service no.3 in Tongham. Lead petitioner Mrs Kerbey. 149 signatures.

     

    Petition 5 – Declaration of a climate emergency and addressing related environmental concerns. Lead petitioner Petra Todd. 342 signatures.

    Additional documents:

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

    Officers attending: Duncan Knox, Road Safety & Active Travel Team Manager, Surrey County Council, Chris Wheeler, Waste, Parking and Fleet Services Manager, Guildford Borough Council, Justine Fuller, Regulatory Services Manager, GBC, Cherrie Mendoza, Transport Strategy Project Manager, SCC

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: Five petitions were received.

     

    Petition 1 Claire Jones brought a petition with 216 signatures asking for improved safety measures outside St Lawrence primary school in Effingham.

     

    The petition and response were published with the agenda papers.

     

    Vivien White, chair of Effingham Residents Association, spoke on behalf of the petitioners from a note prepared by Claire White. She thanked the committee for their response and welcomed the planned installation of speed tables; however, she repeated her call for a 20mph limit to be introduced outside the school.

     

    A number of members also backed the idea of a 20mph limit, adding that it would make sense for this to be introduced at schools across the county so there was a consistent approach. The chairman asked Mr Knox to give this his consideration.

     

    Mr Knox confirmed that he would be repeating the earlier speed survey on Effingham Common Road, and stated that the proposed engineering works would be more effective at controlling vehicle speeds than the simple introduction of a 20mph limit. National guidelines suggest introducing a change in speed limit over a 600m length of highway, and this would expand the scope of the work here along Effingham Common Road, The Street, Lower Road and Orestan Lane raising the potential cost significantly.

     

    Resolved:

    The Guildford Joint Committee NOTED that:

     

    (i)     The Safer Travel Team work with the school to take up more of the road safety education and training activities offered by the county council (for example creating a School Travel Plan and taking part in the Golden Boot Challenge).

    (ii)   The highway improvement measures identified within this report (including three raised road tables, installation of bollards and double yellow lining, vegetation clearance and enhancement of the mini roundabout domes), have been included on the Guildford scheme running list for future prioritisation in the next financial year programme.  Officers will also seek any alternative sources of funding that may arise, for example as a result of property development in the local area

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    These proposed highway measures would improve the safety of pupils walking to and from St Lawrence Primary School. These highway measures would help to reduce antisocial parking and so would reduce risk of collisions and improve the road environment to encourage more walking and scooting to school. A successful increase in these modes would contribute to fewer car journeys and less motor vehicle congestion. However the measures at this site would need to be prioritised alongside other schemes across Guildford. The recommended school travel plan and road safety education improvements would also help to improve road safety and reduce reliance on the car for the school journey.

     

    Petition 2 Mr Richard Knotek brought a petition with 368 signatures asking for the installation  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5/19

6/19

MEMBER WRITTEN QUESTIONS

7/19

PUBLIC WRITTEN QUESTIONS pdf icon PDF 98 KB

    To receive any questions from residents or businesses within the Guildford Borough area in accordance with Standing Order 14.2. Notice should be given in writing or by email to the Community Partnership and Committee Officer by midday four working days before the meeting.

    Minutes:

    Three questions were received from the Guildford Society Transport Group on the subject of Farnham Road bridge and transport routes through Guildford town centre; the questions and the responses were included in the main agenda papers.

     

    The questioner felt that the responses were not very positive and that an opportunity to work on nearby roads while the Farnham Road railway bridge repairs were being carried out was being missed, along with an opportunity to access central government funding.

     

    Members and officers drew attention to the successful funding applications the borough has submitted to the Local Enterprise Partnership, despite the difficult process involved. Both the Town Centre Transport Package and Unlocking Guildford have benefitted from the funding and these projects include a combination of smaller elements that merge to produce overall improvements; work is continuing on the ground to implement the schemes (Item 10 on the Agenda gives updates on progress) and over the coming months the impacts on traffic flows and transport choices will be noticeable.

     

    The current work planned by Network Rail will, once completed, allow GBC to consider further improvements to the route over the railway, but it was important not to focus on just one east-west crossing. The Local Plan includes details of the plans for other routes and gives the overall vision for transport development in Guildford.

     

    SCC’s Transport Strategy Project Manager confirmed that she would work closely with the borough to develop a properly joined up and holistic approach.

     

8/19

DECISION TRACKER [FOR INFORMATION] pdf icon PDF 106 KB

9/19

GUILDFORD TOWN CENTRE PUBLIC REALM (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 1 MB

    Delivery of the second phase of the public realm enhancements across Guildford Town Centre.

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee:

     

    i.                 Agreed the following principles for delivering the Guildford Public Realm Scheme:

    a)  Chapel Street: accessibility improved from the junction with the High Street; create a more pedestrian-dominant area; enhance access restriction for vehicles to promote greater use of the carriageway.

    b)   Swan Lane: to upgrade the pedestrianised carriageway with materials is in keeping with the town centre’s heritage.

    c)     Castle Street: to introduce better traffic measures to address traffic management issues and provide an improved pedestrian link to the castle grounds.

    d)     Town centre Pedestrian Safety: Ensure existing vehicular control barriers and applied ‘safety by design’ measures are appropriate for the High street and adjoining streets.

     

    ii.               Agreed that decisions regarding details of the scheme are delegated to Area Highways manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Committee and Local Councillors

     

    iii.              Delegated Authority to the Area Highways Manager to take necessary steps to implement the scheme and advertise any formal orders needed to create the changes agreed. Should any objections be received to proposed orders, delegate determination of those objections to the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Committee.

    iv.              Agreed that SCC work in partnership with GBC on this project in delivery of the scheme providing in-kind support as required.

    v.               Supported the County Council and Guildford Borough Council entering into a formal agreement for the future maintenance and operation of the roads referred to in recommendation (iand to include the High Street and Tunsgate.

     

    Reasons for recommendations

    To request authority to create a scheme to enhance Guildford streetscape and to delegate the details to ensure that the scheme can be delivered in the tight timescales set out.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officer attending: Paul Bassi, Guildford Borough Council Project Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:  

    Paul Bassi explained that he was in discussion with the police over the standards that apply to the safety barriers at the main entry points to the High Street. The barriers do not match current legal requirements and need to be upgraded – this work will be incorporated into the project.

     

    Concerns were raised about large vehicles using Castle Street and the possibility of damage being caused to the arch at the bottom of Castle Hill if traffic is displaced as a result of the current plans. It was noted that Castle Street is outside the scope of the current report although an extension of the area for work was being considered. Paul Bassi agreed to continue the discussion on this point with the divisional member for Guildford South-East outside this meeting.

     

    The designs for the proposed work have not yet been finalised and will be developed fully following further consultations. Over 400 responses from residents had been received to online surveys so far, and local access groups had attended the Chapel Street site visit to give first-hand feedback. The consensus is for construction work to begin shortly after Christmas.

     

    Resolved:

    The Guildford Joint Committee:

     

    i.                 AGREED the following principles for delivering the Guildford Public Realm Scheme:

    a)  Chapel Street: accessibility improved from the junction with the High Street; create a more pedestrian-dominant area; enhance access restriction for vehicles to promote greater use of the carriageway.

    b)   Swan Lane: to upgrade the pedestrianised carriageway with materials is in keeping with the town centre’s heritage.

    c)     Castle Street: to introduce better traffic measures to address traffic management issues and provide an improved pedestrian link to the castle grounds.

    d)     Town centre Pedestrian Safety: Ensure existing vehicular control barriers and applied ‘safety by design’ measures are appropriate for the High street and adjoining streets.

     

    ii.               AGREED that decisions regarding details of the scheme are delegated to Area Highways manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Committee and Local Councillors

     

    iii.              DELEGATED authority to the Area Highways Manager to take necessary steps to implement the scheme and advertise any formal orders needed to create the changes agreed. Should any objections be received to proposed orders, delegate determination of those objections to the Area Highways Manager in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Committee.

    iv.              AGREED that SCC work in partnership with GBC on this project in delivery of the scheme providing in-kind support as required.

    v.               SUPPORTED the County Council and Guildford Borough Council entering into a formal agreement for the future maintenance and operation of the roads referred to in recommendation (iand to include the High Street and Tunsgate.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    To request authority to create a scheme to enhance Guildford streetscape and to delegate the details to ensure that the scheme can be delivered in the tight  ...  view the full minutes text for item 9/19

10/19

GUILDFORD MAJOR TRANSPORT SCHEMES UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 125 KB

    An update on the programme and delivery of the schemes within the Guildford Town Centre Transport Package major project during the upcoming quarter of 2019/20.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee:

     

    (i)     Noted the updates on ongoing capital works that are planned and in delivery as part of the Town Centre Transport Package.

    (ii)   Agreed the advertisement of the necessary Experimental Traffic Regulation Order to implement the trial one-way closure scheme along Walnut Tree Close and that any representations be reviewed by the Transport Strategy Project Manager and Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Divisional Member (paragraph 2.5 refers).

     

    Reasons for recommendations

    The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable the progression of the major transport scheme works as per the business case that was approved and funded by the EM3 Local Enterprise Partnership.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Cherrie Mendoza – Transport Strategy Project Manager

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:  

    Work on Walnut Tree Close could start by the end of August if the committee was happy with the recommendations. With the one-way system operating there would be a reduction in the use of this route as a rat-run, together with fewer vehicles joining the gyratory at this point. Overall, the scheme would deliver a better local environment.

     

    Resolved:

    The Guildford Joint Committee:

     

    (i)     NOTED the updates on ongoing capital works that are planned and in delivery as part of the Town Centre Transport Package.

    (ii)   AGREED the advertisement of the necessary Experimental Traffic Regulation Order to implement the trial one-way closure scheme along Walnut Tree Close and that any representations be reviewed by the Transport Strategy Project Manager and Area Highway Manager in consultation with the Divisional Member (paragraph 2.5 refers).

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable the progression of the major transport scheme works as per the business case that was approved and funded by the EM3 Local Enterprise Partnership.

11/19

COMPTON AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT AREA - ACTION PLAN (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 133 KB

    Seeking approval of the draft Air Quality Action Plan for Compton.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee agreed that:

     

    (i)     The Committee adopts the Air Quality Action Plan for Comptonin Appendix 1 which is to ban the right turn into Down Lane, Compton.

    (ii)   The Committee support the advertising of the order to effect the traffic regulation order to introduce a right turn ban from The Street, Compton into Down Lane.

     

    Reasons for recommendations

    To ensure the Council meets its statutory duties to adopt an air quality management area action plan and to improve air quality in The Street, Compton.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Justine Fuller, Regulatory Services Manager, Guildford Borough Council, and William Bryans, Transport Studies Team Manager, Surrey County Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None

     

    Member Discussion – key points:  

    The ward member for Shalford explained that the parish council and residents of Compton were unhappy with the recommendations of the report, saying that they are insufficient to tackle the air quality problem. Further investigation and development of new proposals would take too long if it was necessary to wait for new monitoring results to be produced following implementation of the current recommendations, therefore more comprehensive discussions with partner agencies needed to start now in order to avoid possible future delays.

     

    Officers stressed that the current work allowed compliance with the legal process by approving an air quality action plan and that air quality in Compton did not require a large level of improvement in order to be brought back to acceptable levels. This scheme is one aspect of the local transport strategy and air quality strategy, but overall a decrease in traffic flow would be the most effective means of addressing air quality.

     

    Suggestions for further schemes in addition to the air quality action plan would be welcome and should be directed through the Parking & Air Quality Working Group where they would be considered against the existing list of priorities.

     

    Resolved:

    The Guildford Joint Committee AGREED that:

     

    (i)     The Committee adopts the Air Quality Action Plan for Comptonin Appendix 1 which is to ban the right turn into Down Lane, Compton.

    (ii)   The Committee support the advertising of the order to effect the traffic regulation order to introduce a right turn ban from The Street, Compton into Down Lane.

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    To ensure the Council meets its statutory duties to adopt an air quality management area action plan and to improve air quality in The Street, Compton.

12/19

SHALFORD AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT AREA (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 992 KB

    Proposing that the Council designate an ‘air quality management area’ for the pollutant nitrogen dioxide within a specified area of Shalford.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee agreed that the Council:

     

    (i)     Designate an Air Quality Management Area as identified within the bold purple area shown in Appendix 1.

    (ii)   Authorise the Director of Community Services, Guildford Borough Council to make the Order required under Section 83 of the Environment Act 1995 to implement recommendation (i).

     

    Reasons for recommendations

    To ensure the Council meets its statutory duties to designate an air quality management area and to improve air quality along the A281 in Shalford.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Justine Fuller, Regulatory Services Manager, Guildford Borough Council, and William Bryans, Transport Studies Team Manager, Surrey County Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:  

    The importance of a coordinated approach to tackle air quality was discussed, highlighting the need to avoid simply bumping a problem along to another area. There are alternative ways to approach Guildford from the south, such as the cycle and pedestrian path or the Artington Park & Ride, and these need to be promoted.

     

    Officers are in dialogue with colleagues at Waverley Borough Council to ensure their input.

     

    Resolved:

    The Guildford Joint Committee AGREED that the Council:

     

    (i)     Designate an Air Quality Management Area as identified within the bold purple area shown in Appendix 1.

    (ii)   Authorise the Director of Community Services, Guildford Borough Council to make the Order required under Section 83 of the Environment Act 1995 to implement recommendation (i).

     

    Reasons for recommendations:

    To ensure the Council meets its statutory duties to designate an air quality management area and to improve air quality along the A281 in Shalford.

13/19

HIGHWAYS UPDATE (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 1 MB

    An update on the 2019/20 programme of highway works funded by this committee, an update on other centrally funded projects being promoted in the local area, and details of expenditure on the budgets allocated to the committee in 2019/20.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Guildford Joint Committee:

     

    (i)     Noted the committee approved allocations and works progressed during 2018/19.

     

    Reasons for recommendation

    The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable progression of works orders and expenditure of the Committee budget.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Frank Apicella, Area Highway Manager (SW), Surrey County Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member Discussion – key points:  

    Frank Apicella requested that divisional members submit their requests for highways allocation spending as soon as possible. It was noted that there was some frustration with the time taken to implement work once it had been requested. Mr Apicella agreed to circulate updated information about schedules for the design of schemes and their implementation in between committee meetings.

     

    A discussion was had regarding the planned bus lane enforcement camera, funding for which had been agreed at a previous meeting. SCC is working with GBC to establish the logistics of placement of the camera and monitoring of the images – an update is expected in November. The camera has not yet been bought, and the chairman stated that he would like to see the system operational within this financial year. Monitoring of the level of bus lane violations before and after installation would be necessary to measure the camera’s effectiveness.

     

    Resolved:

    The Guildford Joint Committee:

     

    (i)     NOTED the committee approved allocations and works progressed during 2018/19.

     

    Reasons for recommendation:

    The committee is asked to agree the recommendations to enable progression of works orders and expenditure of the Committee budget.

14/19

REPRESENTATION ON TASK GROUPS AND EXTERNAL BODIES (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 112 KB

    This report seeks the approval of Joint Committee task group members and the appointment of representatives to external bodies.

    Additional documents:

    Decision:

    The Joint Committee (Guildford) agreed:

     

    (i)               The membership of the working groups and appointments to outside bodies, as detailed at paragraphs 2.1 to 2.10 and Annexes 1 and 2 of this report.

     

    Reasons for recommendation

    Good governance practice requires that the Committee reviews membership arrangements regularly to ensure that representation on the committee, working  groups and partnerships is fair and provides the best outcomes for the interests of Guildford borough residents.

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Gregory Yeoman, Partnership Community Officer, Surrey County Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    The following members were elected to the Working Groups:

     

    Infrastructure Delivery and Transportation Working Group

    SCC: Cllrs Furniss, D Goodwin, Iles and Taylor.

    GBC: Cllrs Blow, Potter, Reeves and Spooner.

     

    Parking and Air Quality Working Group

    SCC: Cllrs Ellwood, Furniss, Taylor and White.

    GBC: Cllrs McShee, Parker, Potter and Randall.

     

    Cllr Furniss retained his role on the Safer Guildford Partnership, and Cllr White retained hers on the Guildford Health and Wellbeing Board.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Guildford) AGREED:

     

    (i)               The membership of the working groups and appointments to outside bodies, as detailed at paragraphs 2.1 to 2.10 and Annexes 1 and 2 of this report.

     

    Reasons for recommendation

    Good governance practice requires that the Committee reviews membership arrangements regularly to ensure that representation on the committee, working  groups and partnerships is fair and provides the best outcomes for the interests of Guildford borough residents.

15/19

JOINT COMMITTEE COMMUNITY SAFETY FUNDING (EXECUTIVE FUNCTION - FOR DECISION) pdf icon PDF 112 KB

    The joint committee has a delegated budget of £3,000 for community safety projects in 2019/20. This report sets out the process by which this funding should be allocated to the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local community organisations that promote the safety and wellbeing of residents.

    Decision:

    The Joint Committee (Guildford) agreed that:

     

    (i)          The committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 for 2019/20 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the joint committee, and that the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local organisations be invited to submit proposals for funding that meet the criteria and principles set out at paragraph 3.3 of this report.

    (ii)        Authority be delegated to the Community Safety Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the joint committee, to authorise the expenditure of the community safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated in section 3 of this report.

    (iii)       The committee receives updates on the project(s) that was funded, the outcomes and the impact it has achieved.

    The Joint Committee (Guildford) noted:

     

    (i)               The update from the Eagle Radio Campaign Joint Project regarding the use of funds in 2018/19 – see para 2.4 to 2.9 of this report.

     

    Reasons for recommendations

    The report sets out a process for allocating the committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 to local organisations to achieve the recommendations outlined above.

     

    There is also an update (para 2.4 to 2.9) on how last year’s funding was used in order to provide visibility and promote accountability within the Community Safety Partnership.

     

    Minutes:

    Declarations of Interest: None

     

    Officers attending: Gregory Yeoman, Partnership Community Officer, Surrey County Council

     

    Petitions, Public Questions, Statements: None.

     

    Member discussion – key points:

    The PCO outlined the application process for the coming year’s Community Safety Fund and drew members’ attention to the report on the 2018/19 allocation.

     

    Cllr Potter asked for more details in future of the efficacy of the funded projects and their success or otherwise in achieving their goals.

     

    Resolved:

    The Joint Committee (Guildford) AGREED that:

     

    (i)          The committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 for 2019/20 be retained by the Community Partnership Team, on behalf of the joint committee, and that the Community Safety Partnership and/or other local organisations be invited to submit proposals for funding that meet the criteria and principles set out at paragraph 3.3 of this report.

    (ii)        Authority be delegated to the Community Safety Manager, in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the joint committee, to authorise the expenditure of the community safety budget in accordance with the criteria and principles stated in section 3 of this report.

    (iii)       The committee receives updates on the project(s) that was funded, the outcomes and the impact it has achieved.

    The Joint Committee (Guildford) NOTED:

     

    (i)               The update from the Eagle Radio Campaign Joint Project regarding the use of funds in 2018/19 – see para 2.4 to 2.9 of this report.

     

    Reasons for recommendations

    The report sets out a process for allocating the committee’s delegated community safety budget of £3,000 to local organisations to achieve the recommendations outlined above.

     

    There is also an update (para 2.4 to 2.9) on how last year’s funding was used in order to provide visibility and promote accountability within the Community Safety Partnership.

     

16/19

FORWARD PLAN (FOR INFORMATION) pdf icon PDF 78 KB

    The forward programme of reports for 2018/19.

    Minutes:

    The Chairman invited members to submit their suggestions for future agenda items to the Partnership Community Officer. He put forward bus lane enforcement and Quality Bus Corridors as items for the autumn. Development of the Park & Ride scheme was suggested but it was noted that this would be covered in the usual presentation of the Parking Review business case. Other contents of the Forward Plan were noted.

17/19

DATE OF NEXT MEETING