The OutSystems low-code application development platform was originally acquired to accelerate the process of developing and deploying bespoke software solutions for Services within the County Council. It is one of IT & Digital’s underpinning digital capabilities.
A low code application development platform makes development quicker and simpler than traditional development hand crafting program code. This reduces the organisation’s reliance on expensive technical staff that are hard to recruit. Components can be easily shared between applications and there is a large user community with open-source components, all contributing to ease and speed of development through reuse. The platform builds in security protection, so it is not down to individual developers. There is also a very easy deployment process and comprehensive, in-built monitoring tools for the solutions that are live.
A range of business functions across Surrey County Councils now depend upon solutions built on the OutSystems platform:
• Appeals Database supports the Appeals Service in administering school admission appeals and has public facing pages to allow members of the public to lodge an admission appeal online
• Care Home Providers – survey of PPE requirements
• Continuous Improvement Tool allows the ASC Quality Assurance Team to monitor whether care homes are conforming to the Care Quality Commission’s (CQC) standards
• Delayed Transfers of Care Database is used to collect the weekly delays data (i.e. bed-blockers)
• Emergency Duty Team Log supports the out-of-hours service - the number of calls recorded in last 12 months was 16,292
• Highways APM is currently in development and will allow members of the public to apply online details for an APM (also known as HBar or white line)
• Highways Issues allows members of the public to report online details for highway issues such as potholes, broken pavements, blocked drains. Integrates with Zendesk and WMS.
• Home Based Care Calculator is an example of where a solution was developed to plug a gap in the functionality offered by ContrOCC (the Social Care finance system)
• Provider Forms allows ASC care homes to update their PPE requirements and covid bed capacity via an online form
• School and Academy Payroll provides schools and academies with the ability to see real-time SAP data for all their employees; this is an income generating service
• SEND Admissions manage the admissions process for children with EHCPs who are due to move school stage
• SEND Advice Surrey is a case management system supporting a team that provide impartial advice and signposting for parents, children and young people, predominantly with special or additional needs
• Single View provides a single view of data from CapitaOne and LCS to enable the Transitions Team to plan the requirement for children transitioning from CSF to ASC
These solutions are used variously by staff, partners and citizens. The Appeals Database, Delayed Transfers of Care, Highways Defect Reporting and SEND Admissions all support a statutory function.
Decision type: Key
Reason Key: Expenditure > £500,000;
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 28/10/2019
Decision due: 17 Dec 2019 by Cabinet
Decision due: 18 Feb 2020 by Director of Infrastructure & Delivery
Decision due: 31 Mar 2020 by Executive Director Environment, Transport & Infrastructure
Decision due: 21 Oct 2020 by Assistant Director, Corporate Landlord
Decision due: 3 Nov 2020 by Executive Director Resources
Lead member: Cabinet Member for Corporate Support Cabinet Member for Transport Cabinet Member for Communities Cabinet Member for Resources
Lead director: Executive Director Resources
Contact: Anna Kwiatkowska Email: email@example.com Tel: 020 8541 7351 Dominic Barlow, Assistant Director, Corporate Landlord Nathaniel Burrows Tel: 07703 453452.
scheduled to go to the Resources & Performance Select Committee on 16 December 2019.